Board of Supervisors
Citizen Advisory Committees
Court and Public Records
Frequently Asked Questions
Mission and Values
Culpeper County will strive to achieve the highest quality of life possible for our community through comprehensive, innovative, responsive, and meaningful services effectively delivered by motivated and skilled employees guided by visionary leadership.
Culpeper County Government will strive to provide an environment which promotes a prosperous community dedicated to the health and safety of its citizens while providing educational opportunities and data driven, citizen centered, performance based management.
Culpeper County is a political subdivision that executes the policies of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Virginia General Assembly grants certain powers to County government. There are two restrictions of power: (1) a County cannot take action that is contrary to State Law and to the State Constitution; (2) The authority for any County action must be specifically authorized by the General Assembly. The latter is called the Dillon Rule which dates from Iowa Judge John F. Dillon in 1865.
Culpeper County has a traditional form of government with a Board of Supervisors and a County Administrator. The Board of Supervisors, elected by the people, serves as the governing body, and represents the seven magisterial districts within County.
1. Responsible management of County resources
2. Provide effective programs, efficiently managed and professionally delivered
3. Carry out the vision & mission of the Board of Supervisors.
1. Encourage a community that welcomes diversity and inclusion
2. Develop a culture that promotes innovation
3. Keep citizens informed about County operations, policies, and programs
1. Provide the necessary infrastructure to support business development consistent with the Comprehensive Plan
2. Attract a wide spectrum of businesses
3. Recruit businesses that will raise our standard of living
4. Seek businesses that have a strong tradition of corporate stewardship
1. Protect people and property through effective enforcement of laws and delivery of services
1. Maintain and improve our natural environment
2. Increase collaboration with our regional partners to recognize each others needs to share our natural resources
1. Promote and encourage a safe, prosperous, and healthy environment
2. Create opportunities for a comprehensive education emphasizing efficient use of resources that nurtures and stimulates the maximum potential of our residents.
3. Enhance and protect the rural integrity and atmosphere of our County
4. Promote our history to the fullest extent so as to understand our past and guide us into the future