Culpeper County Government Banner
Auxiliary Grants


Some people who live in an adult care residence or an adult family care home can receive money from the Auxiliary Grant Program.
The money received, plus other income, is used by the person to pay for the care provided by the home.
Individuals who receive money from this program are also eligible for Medicaid.
  • To be eligible, a person must:
  • Be 65 or older, blind or disabled.
  • Have countable resources of less than $2,000 for one person, $3,000 for a couple.
  • Have countable income that is less than the approved rate for the home plus an allowance for personal items.
  • File an application in the locality where the person lives or lived prior to entering the adult care residence or adult family-care home.
  • Have been assessed and determined to need care in a adult care residence or an adult family placement.
Energy Assistance

The Energy Assistance Program assists low-income households that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy.

The program consists of three components: Fuel Assistance, Crisis Assistance and Cooling Assistance.


The Fuel Assistance component helps eligible households with the costs of heating their homes.To be eligible for Fuel Assistance,

there are certainincome guidelines, resource maximums and living arrangements that must be met. The household must also be responsible

for paying the heating bill.  Fuel Assistance applications are accepted from the secondTuesday in October through the secondriday in

November. Applicants receive notice of their eligibilitydetermination by mid-December. 


The Crisis Assistance component helps eligiblehouseholds in emergency energy situations that cannot be met by

Fuel Assistance or other resources.Crisis applications are accepted from November 1 through March 15. All crisis assistance is based on availability of funds.


The Cooling Assistance component helps eligible households with the costs of cooling their homes. To be eligible for Cooling Assistance,

there are certain income guidelines, need, and there must be an elderly person, person with a disability or a child under 6 living in the home.

Cooling applications are accepted from June 15 through August 15. All crisis assistance is based on availability of funds.

Food Assistance Programs

The Food Stamp program is designed to promote better nutrition for low-income families by increasing their food purchasing power.

If you live in Culpeper County, you would apply at our office.  Each application is screened for entitlement to emergency service.

If your application is screened as an emergency, eligibility will be determined within seven days. Regular processing is thirty days from the date of application.

Eligibility for Food Stamps and the amount of the allotment varies according to the number of eligible household members, income, resources, deductions,

nd other eligibility factors. Food Stamp allotments are based on the date that the agency receives your application.

If you think you may be eligible, you should file your application immediately.


Empowering Culpeper

Members of Healthy Culpeper have collaborated to form a committee that provides food commodities (staples) for low-income families in Culpeper County.

The distribution is held each month at Culpeper United Methodist Church (1233 Oaklawn Drive), from 9-11 a.m. The Culpeper Connector provides drop off and pick up transportation to the church.

Families that are income eligible will be enrolled to receive food commodities on a monthly basis. Households that receive Food Stamps or Medicaid or

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are automatically eligible.

Please be there on time-registration and distribution takes a little time.

VOLUNTEERS are always needed for unloading, packaging and distribution

WHEN: Fridays and Saturdays around the distribution dates


SNAP (Supplimental Nutrition Assistance Program)


Households have to meet income tests unless all members are receiving TANF, SSI, or in some places general assistance. Most households must meet both the gross and net income tests, but a household

with an elderly person or a person who is receiving certain types of disability payments only has to meet the net income test. Households, except those noted, that have income over the amounts listed below cannot get SNAP benefits.

(Oct. 1, 2012 through Sept. 30, 2013).  To apply online; click here.




Household size

Gross monthly income
(130 percent of poverty)

Net monthly income
(100 percent of poverty)


$1,211 $ 931


1,640 1,261


2,069 1,591


2,498 1,921


2,927 2,251


3,356 2,581


3,785 2,911


4,214 3,241

Each additional member

+429 +330



General Relief
This is an optional program within each county that provides assistance, either maintenance or emergency, which cannot be provided by other means. In Culpeper County, we have elected to include assistance for medical/dental services and burial expenses.
Medicaid & FAMIS

The Medicaid program helps certain groups of low-income people with payments for health and medical care. The local Social Service agency in the county where you live takes applications and determines eligibility.


The Department of Medical Assistance Services pays the bills to providers. Medicaid is divided into three basic programs: Families and Children; Aged, Blind and Disabled; and Long Term Care.


Medicaid is different from Medicare. Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people who are age 65 or older or disabled. It is administered by the Social Security Administration.


FAMIS is a Health Insurance Program for uninsured children under age 19. You may request FAMIS by calling the FAMIS Central Operation Center, at 1-866- 87FAMIS, or

by submitting the FAMIS/Medicaid application to your local Social Service Department. Additional information about Medicaid, FAMIS, and Medicare may be found at .

State and Local Hospitalization


State/Local Hospitalization provides direct payment to hospitals for individuals who are unable to pay for required medical services.
Medical services covered are limited to:
  • Hospitalization
  • Outpatient Surgery
  • Emergency Room Visits
  • Health Department Visits
  • In-Patient and Outpatient doctor visits are NOT covered.
If you know that you are going to be hospitalized or have outpatient surgery, you can apply beforehand, or apply within 30 days of the discharge date, from which services where provided.
If funds are available and you are eligible you will be covered for 180 days from the date of the application or the date of service. Funds are limited and usually depleted before the end of the fiscal year.
TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families)

TANF is a program that provides temporary financial assistance to eligible families and children. The family receives a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. To be eligible, a family must be financially needy and must meet certain other requirements.

Most able-bodied adult TANF recipients are required to participate in the Virginia Initiative for Employment Not Welfare (VIEW) program. VIEW is the work program that requires able-bodied parents to work. A family taking part in VIEW will receive help in finding a job. They may also receive help with child day care costs and transportation. A recipient may still get a TANF check even if they are working. A family who has someone in the VIEW program may receive TANF for no longer than 24 months followed by a period of ineligibility. An applicant must cooperate in naming the parents of all eligible children and must help establish paternity for each of them.
Contact Information
Main Office/Mailing Address
1835 Industry Drive
PO Box 1355
Culpeper, VA 22701  
Main Telephone (540) 727-0372
FAX (540) 727-7584
Service Lobby Hours M-F 8-4:30pm
State Hotline Numbers:
Adult Protective Services 1-800-83-ADULT
Child Abuse and Neglect 1-800-552-7096
Child Support Enforcement 1-800-468-8894
Family Violence/Sexual Assault 1-800-838-8238
FAMIS: Family Access to Medical Insurance Security 1-866-87-FAMIS
VDSS Fraud Hotline 1-877-553-3636
VSP Terrorist Tip Hotline 1-866-488-8554
Copyright 2014 by Culpeper County Government - Terms Of Use - Privacy Statement